Installation Instructions for Deco Frame
Norman Shutters Installation Instructions
4 sided Deco Frame
(Outside Mount - 2 Panel)
Recommended Tools: Nail Gun or Drill, Tape Measure, Torpedo Level, Box Knife, 6" Philips head driver
Make sure ITEM# (In Red) matches on both panel box and frame box. Each window will have 1 box for shutter panels and 1 box for frames.
• Do not dispose of packaging until the shutters are operating appropriately.
• Use of a moving blanket or drop cloth is recommended.
• Find ample working space to assemble your frame, (preferably in front of the window).
• Check the diagram to make sure you have all the parts indicated for an appropriate installation.
1. Carefully remove panels and frames from the packaging. Do not mix panels or frames from other windows.
2. After unpacking panels, remove filler strips from the frame. (Repeat for all sides)
Tip: Place the filler strips away from the work area but in the vicinity of the matching frame.
3. In area near the window, use a moving blanket or drop cloth and set all frames on floor face up.
4. Position the left frame and the top frame onto a flat surface and line up the Hoffman key.
NOTE: A small wood block is recommended to prevent damage to floor and to ensure a flush fit by the Hoffman Key
Tip: Hoffman Keys have a flat & rounded side. The rounded side goes in facing up.
If not installing a T-POST skip to Step 8.
5. The top and bottom of the t-post are labeled, locate and identify.
6. Line up the pre-drilled holes with the top frame and secure with screws provided. (Repeat for bottom frame)
Tip: It is recommended to use a 6" extension to avoid damaging the face of the Deco frame.
7. Position the assembled frame evenly around the window opening & secure with nail/screw into the upper left frame ONLY. Shutter will be fully secured in later steps.
8. Once the left side is secured, level the frame on the window and secure with nail/screw into the upper right frame. Shutter will be fully secured in later steps.
Once top right & left frame are secured, panels can be installed.
9. Place the left shutter panel(s) in the frame, slide into position, insert hinge pins into hinges.
10. Place the right shutter panel(s) in the frame, and insert hinge pins into hinges.
11. Once panels have been positioned and secured with the hinge pins, make sure shutter panels are even across the top and bottom. If panels are not even, shift (rack) your frame left to right until even panels are achieved.
Remember, bottom frame should not be secured at this point.
12. Once panels line up, secure nail/screw at the bottom of the left frame.
(DOUBLE CHECK AND MAKE SURE PANELS ARE STILL EVEN ACROSS THE TOP)
13. After securing the bottom left, secure with nail/screw at the bottom right.
Tip: Step away from the window and open louvers to ensure the shutter is evenly positioned on the window.
Things to look for: Window mullions, sectioned glass with shutter lines of stiles or louvers.
14. Check gap between panels and adjust accordingly with hinge spacers provided if needed.
15. Once reveal is aligned, secure the bottom frame. Repeat step 16 for the top frame.
Tip: Move frame up or down to achieve an even reveal between panel and frame.
16. After the top & bottom frames are secured, check that the shutter operates properly. Secure the shutter by installing additional nails/screws to all sides of the frames of the shutter.
Tip when using a nail gun: It is recommended to apply 2 nails for every hinge, and 1 nail between hinges.
17. Carefully and firmly press frame inserts into corresponding sides of the frame.
Tip: A "WHITE" mallet is recommended.